What is a Cervical (neck) or Lumbar (lower back) Discography?
A discogram is a diagnostic test performed to determine the location or source of our pain pain.
How is this procedure done?
- Utah Spine Care uses fluoroscopy (live x-ray guidance) for all Discography Procedures
- The patient will lie on a procedure bed on his or her stomach
- The physician will place a small pillow under the stomach of the patient to help raise the spine
- You skin with be cleansed with an antiseptic solution, then the physician will inject a short-acting anesthetic (numbing agent) to the skin around the injection site
- Once your physician has found the correct spot, using fluoroscopy guidance, he or she will start the procedure
- Your Physician will direct a spinal needle into the skin and then toward the determined area of pain
- You physician will then attempt to “re-create” your specific pain, this will help to determine the exact location of your problem
How long does this procedure take?
The procedure takes approximately 30-45 minutes with an additional 30-45 minutes of recovery time.
What are the expected results of this procedure?
- Recreation of painful symptoms if the disk(s) is generating your pain
- Confirmation of a diagnosis and/or determination of which disk(s) is the source of pain